WE DEFINE SOCIAL CHANGE WORK
Crossroads Fund supports organizations and groups promoting social change in the greater Chicago Metropolitan area (including Northwest Indiana). We define social change work as people in communities collectively working together to challenge the conditions, institutions, and policies that maintain inequality and oppression.
Our funding and grantmaking approach extends beyond issue areas or treating the symptoms of injustice such as food, clothing, shelter, but rather, we invest in long-term, radical solutions to change the systems that allow injustice, exploitation or violence to exist—envisioning an end while building equality and opportunity for all.
Our justice funding and movement building programs are commitments to funding visionary and radical organizers and activists transforming Chicago and beyond. We invest in communities rather than issues areas and support the self-determination of communities and organizations to strengthen movements for justice through streamlined applications and unrestricted funding.
WE PRIORITIZE GROUPS WHO ARE:
- Collaborative or working in solidarity with other progressive groups
- Risk-taking by doing work that is controversial, new or emerging
- Strategic and working with a long-term vision, clear goals, and activities
- Achieving concrete success that has positively impacted the community
- Multiple funding sources throughout the community, such as foundations, businesses, individuals, special events, and income generating projects
CROSSROADS FUND GRANTEES:
- Address root causes using a racial, social and economic justice framework
- Seek transformation of systems through which power is distributed in society
- Value identities and lived experiences of race, class, gender, ability and age
- Centers and develops leaders most impacted in movements for justice
- Driven by bold visions and objectives elevating community-led solutions