Careers at Crossroads Fund
Crossroads Fund Seeks Development Director
Are you passionate about inspiring people to support the work of movement builders and grassroots organizers and activists? Are you an experienced fundraiser and strategist who is always striving to meet that next ambitious goal? Are you skilled at connecting with people and getting them involved? Do you want to be part of a leadership team?
Crossroads Fund (www.crossroadsfund.org) is a progressive public foundation that supports groups working for racial, social and economic justice in the Chicago area. We organize and engage donors at all levels to support community based groups in movement building. Since 1981, Crossroads Fund has distributed more than $8 million in grants and provided thousands of hours of leadership development and other technical assistance programming to hundreds of community based groups fighting for equality in all aspects of life.
The Development Director is responsible for creation and oversight of the annual development and communications plan. The Development Director is part of the staff leadership team with the Executive Director and Program Director.
This is an excellent opportunity to become a leader in a small but highly impactful organization (the Development Director supervises the Development and Communications Associate and works closely with the Operations Manager and all staff). Crossroads Fund has an annual budget over $1.2 million and a solid annual development plan and practice. Approximately 70% of our income is from individuals through annual gifts, appeals, and events. In addition, we receive a portion of our income from foundation partners.
The Development Director is also responsible for creating and managing our communications strategy in concert with the Development and Communications Associate.
- Plan, execute, and evaluate a comprehensive fundraising plan, including personal, mail and e-mail appeals, special events, major gifts, endowment fundraising, and foundation grant seeking.
- Serve as lead steward of current donors and guide Board members and Executive Director in on-going stewardship.
- Cultivate existing and prospective individual, foundation, and family fund donors. Develop innovative ways to expand these donor bases.
- Manage the Partner Fund program, including all Donor Advised accounts and Pooled Funds.
- Work closely with the Board and Executive Director in determining appropriate strategies, restrictions, and priorities for soliciting gifts from all donation sources.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and the Big Change Endowment Committee to complete the final stages in a $2 million endowment campaign.
- Oversee writing and timely submissions of grant proposals and reports to funders.
- Lead planning for strategies to increase public awareness of Crossroads Fund.
- Develop a calendar of events, including donor house parties, receptions, grantee visits, etc.
- Oversee activities related to annual spring fundraiser.
- Staff the Fundraising & Communications Committee and other volunteer committees that may be created due to special fundraising initiatives.
- Along with Program Director, oversee annual Giving Project and participate in activities related to the Giving Project. (for more on the Giving Project here )
- Provide strategic analysis of successes and weaknesses of development and communications work.
- Manage the development department expense budget, provide regular reports on revenue and expenses.
- Supervise Development and Communications Associate as well as Interns.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Minimum 5 years experience in fundraising from individuals.
Experience in using social media as a communications and fundraising tool is essential.
Demonstrated ability to meet fundraising goals.
Prior grant seeking and special events experience. Strong proposal writing required.
Supervisory/management experience required.
Experience with word processing and database management required. Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge database software preferred.
Excellent writing, public speaking, and interpersonal skills.
Detail oriented team player with the ability to manage numerous projects while maintaining positive attitude and cool demeanor.
Respect for people of all backgrounds and experience.
Commitment to social change and progressive politics and an interest in keeping up with the issues of the day.
Sense of humor.
Crossroads Fund is committed to affirmative action and strongly encourages people of color, women, and LGBTQ candidates to apply.
Multi-level work area; position requires frequent and regular computer and phone use. Position requires occasional lifting of 20 pounds. Some travel to off-site locations required as well as some evening and weekend assignments. Workplace is a smoke and drug-free environment.
Salary range is $65,000-$75,000 annually based on experience. Excellent benefits and professional development opportunities.
How to apply
Submit resume, cover letter, salary history and salary requirements to Crossroads Fund, 3411 W. Diversey, Chicago, IL 60647 or firstname.lastname@example.org (please put Development Director in subject line). No phone calls please. Application deadline is September 16, 2016.
Download Development Director Job Description.