In July of 2013, the CLAIM Board of Directors established the Gail T. Smith Policy Fund to honor Gail's extraordinary policy and advocacy work over the past twenty-eight years protecting rights of incarcerated mothers and their children. Please consider a separate donation to this fund to support CLAIM's policy and advocacy work and those of its partners.
In the years since she founded CLAIM in 1985, Gail has been a tireless advocate for incarcerated and formerly incarcerated mothers and their children -- and she has laid the foundation for CLAIM to continue advocating for our clients and for policies that support Illinois families for years to come. The Gail T. Smith Policy Fund at Crossroads Fund aims to support this continuation of her legacy.
For her tremendous work, Gail was recently selected as a Children of Incarcerated Parents Champion of Change, and was honored in a special White House ceremony on June 12. Highlights of Gail’s consummate leadership include:
- Designing and implementing legal aid and client education programs.
- Recruiting and training volunteer lawyers to expand CLAIM’s work.
- Launching the Visible Voices group as a vehicle for women’s empowerment and public advocacy.
- Winning the establishment of the first two community-based sentencing programs for mothers in Illinois to reduce incarceration and support the mother-child bond.
- Writing and championing legislation to ban the use of shackles on pregnant women.
- Convening the Illinois Task Force for Children of Prisoners, Children of Promise, which won improvements including a children’s visiting center at Cook County Jail.
Please consider a donation to the Gail T. Smith Policy Fund today!
You can also donate by mail. Checks should be made out to Crossroads Fund with Gail Smith Fund in the memo, and mailed to:
3411 W. Diversey Ave Ste 20
Chicago, IL 60647