Careers at Crossroads Fund
Program Manager Position
Crossroads Fund is a Chicago-based public foundation that supports and collaborates with organizations and communities working on racial, social and economic justice issues geared toward systemic change. We do this through grantmaking, capacity building programs, donor organizing, fundraising, public programs and special initiatives that support movement building in Chicago. Crossroads Fund is guided by the principles that the people most affected by the issues should be at the forefront of bringing about sustainable systemic change.
The Program Manager position involves working directly with grassroots organizing groups in Chicago, managing the grantmaking process, database management, designing and/or implementing special initiatives and managing/facilitating the Giving Project (Giving Projects are democratic processes that bring cohorts of volunteers together across race, class, gender identity, sexuality, immigration status, etc. for a 6 month process that includes political education, collective giving, grassroots fundraising and grantmaking).
Grantmaking – Manage the grantmaking process which includes, but is not limited to; reviewing and recommending proposals, coordinating and leading site visits, creating grantmaking reports; and contributing to the ongoing evaluation of Crossroads Fund grantmaking strategies.
Capacity Building - Provide high quality assistance to grantees and potential grantees, develop and/or support the implementation of various capacity building initiatives including those that involve external partners, provide support in identifying and hosting workshops/trainings for grantees.
Programs support - Prepare written reports and analysis for various stakeholders (Board Members, Communications Department, proposals to foundations etc.) on Crossroads activities, initiatives and programs. Work closely with Board Members and the Program Committee on Program Department’s activities.
Database Management - Oversee database management in terms of accurate and timely data entry, productions of reports and improvements/maintenance of the database.
Giving Projects -Manage the development, implementation and improvement of Giving Projects, which includes: staff coordination, curriculum revisions, recruitment of participants, session facilitation, coaching on grantmaking, providing fundraising support and ensuring that Giving Projects meet their quantitative and qualitative goals.
External - Represent Crossroads Fund at community and philanthropic events, participate in the national Giving Project Learning community, and be an external-facing representative for the Crossroads Fund.
Other - Supervise interns/staff as required, provide support to the Program Director as needed and perform any other duties assigned.
- Demonstrated commitment to Crossroad Fund’s mission of racial, social, and economic justice and a strong social justice analysis.
- Minimum 1 year involvement (either paid or volunteer) in a community based organization that does social justice and/or community organizing work.
- Keen interest in grantmaking with a desire to advance in programming at a foundation level.
- Open and flexible, with strong interpersonal skills for building relationships. Demonstrated experience working closely and effectively with a wide variety of people with different backgrounds and lived experiences.
- Excellent writing skills, great attention to details, excellent organizational skills including the ability to handle multiple assignments, establish priorities and procedures with limited supervision.
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Available to work on occasional evenings, weekends and willing to travel within the Chicago metropolitan area.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of abilities and experience.
Qualifications desired but not required
- Experience in facilitating trainings, workshops and meetings for diverse audiences with the ability to convey newly learned information. An interest in curriculum development using popular education methods is a plus.
- Knowledge of local community-based organizations working on social change.
- Experience with database management.
This position reports to the Program Director and is full time with good benefits that include health, dental, pension and professional development opportunities. Salary range is mid to high $40’s based on experience. Crossroads Fund provides employment opportunities to all without regard to race, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, physical ability etc. Please submit your cover letter and resume to Katie@crossroadsfund.org by June 18th, 2018.